Counterparts Pt. 1: The Mind

Whereas the ability to rationalize is a blessing, mankind's costliest error was in that he had the conceit to assume these personal "rational" judgements upon the unknown, and consequently in doing so: other rational beings (though their entitlement to these judgements maybe questioned, as is my own). It is a common assumption that mankind has always been terribly afflicted by emotional turmoil, but even in an emotionless state, our imagination does not retain the ability to intellectually encompass some of the larger questions in life. Why are we here? What is our purpose? Why do I wake up and presume daily life in such an innocuous manner? Religion, philosophy and lifestyle are examples of the pride man has asserted upon his own kind, which had lead to countless massacres and disgusting acts of sin. However, when we let go of this conceit, what do we have left? Would we be free to live in peace with others, and more importantly, would be left further in the dark, or become more enlightened?

We cannot understand certain things. This is a basic and most obvious fact. We rest on levels of uncertainty we as people would not have the humility to admit. Your God? Despite the ravings of religious fanatics and 'certain' godly men, it is the most humblest assertion to know that it is, by nature, very uncertain that there is a God at all. Your life? Despite the outrageous bickering of those around us, much of what we do is based on a very shortsighted measure, one that deals only on a daily, perhaps weekly, maybe yearly basis. We are shortsighted to the point of being blind. Perhaps in rare moments of epiphany we can come to realize something of greater value, but these moments fade to black as the monotony of day-to-day basis takes over inevitably. What is our purpose? It is obvious that perhaps almost all of us humans fail to meet this, or even come close to the point of understanding this purpose. Yet, to each his own, humankind has its nihilists, its absurdists, its existentialists, its fervent, its graceful, and 'seemingly purposeful'. But the very idea that the idea of purpose has multiple facets to different people shows that we are a much unenlightened peoples, and in fact as a whole, we do not understand our purpose. Could I even ask for the audacity to even assume that one exists? Nevertheless, my point is that it is uncertain.

For life and thinking itself to based on principles so uncertain as this, why is it that our pride pushes one another to assume that he is right? More obviously than people think: there is no right if everything is uncertain. Tell me, what is certain? Some have gone so far away from reality that they proclaim that life is but a dream. Nihilists say nothing matters, and to an extent they are true. Out of the three modern philosophies I mentioned (nihilism, absurdism, and existentially) I would probably say that absurdism is more correct than the other two. Perhaps even more correct that monotheistic existentialism, because that too assumes that such a God exists. But without proof what is there? Perhaps faith, which is what I take to be my safety, but not much else. Everything is more or less just a maybe. I can say the world is absurd, but then I would be hasty, rather it is more or less unreasonable.

So then, am I allowed the conceit  by moral standards, to assume my own purpose (if everything is uncertain and things such as purposes only exist on individual, uncertain levels)? I mean, I have ethics, and it would be futile to say no, so out of respect for my existence, I would like to say yes. Only out of respect that I live as one capable of rational though (as limited as it may be) and that perhaps, just perhaps, there is a higher power governing and judging my rights and wrongs. Why? Perhaps because although it is uncertain, following the game of Pascal's wager, I would rather live as if a God existed by faith alone and die to find out that there is none, than to live without such thought and die to face a judgment I had once assumed was non-existent.

SO, if I can assume my own purpose, I should do it now, as soon as possible, and keep that longsighted philosophy as close to me as possible, should I not? Because with this, my happiness and joy would be the harmony I have longed to look for in which the thoughts I think and the life I live. I shall not search for happiness, but rather search for harmony in the God I believe in by faith alone, and my actions, which shall supersede the human race by one of the two following things: to surpass those before me and to help others. And to love and to aspire for things I know not of. I am not entitled to much else, and it would not be wise to do so.

That is all.


0 love letters:

Post a Comment

comments •~•

Labels