fuckin squares
2-d cubes having sex* * *
Of course, it's difficult to put people into little boxes and categories, but for the sake of simplification, that is what I will attempt to do. By no means are any of these exclusive, but just what I see applies the best.
There are five things that make a good rapper great. In no particular order:
1. Sincerity
2. Ease of listening (appeal)
3. Lines that hit (punchlines, 'ohhh shiiiit what the fuck' lines)
4. Skill
5. Clever concepts
6. Bounce/Rhythm (optional)
There are only few rappers with all these attributes. I'll go through a list of rappers that exemplify certain aspects of the attribute in particular, and rappers that are not good at the attribute as well in parenthesis:
1. Tupac/ J. Cole/ Big K.R.I.T
2. Kid Cudi/ Wiz Khalifa (Tech N9ne/ Pusha T/ Cyhi the Prince)
3. Lil Wayne/ Childish Gambino
4. Eminem/ Tech N9ne/ Kendrick Lamar/ Nas/ Lupe (A$AP Rocky)
5. Kanye West
6. Notorious B.I.G/ Andre 3000 (Talib Kweli)
Then there are the follow up skills which are almost necessary, but not in the same grouping as the above:
7. Storytelling
8. Aura/ Mood
9. Vocal Control
7. Jay-Z/ Common/ Mos Def/ Talib Kweli/ Immortal Technique
8. Nipsey Hussle/ Tyler/ A$AP Rocky/ L.E.P Bogus Boys
9. Tyga/ Drake/ Andre 3000
And then aside from all this, most rappers fit into three categories of why they rap. They are, again, in no particular order:
1. Joy
2. Emotion
3. Success
I'll put in korean musicians just for kicks.
Joy:
Beenzino
Primary
Sanchez
Emotions:
Tablo
Lupe (pre-lasers)
E-sens
The Weeknd
Frank Ocean
Childish Gambino
Success:
San-e
Tyga
Simon-D
Dok2
Lil Wayne
Nipsey Hussle
split:
Drake (emotions/success)
J. Cole (emotions/success)
Tyler (emotions/joy)
Big Sean (emotions/success)

0 love letters:
Post a Comment
comments •~•